I have been meaning to write this post for what seems like forever. A lot of things are changing in my life, and I wanted to share the details with y’all, including where I forsee my blog heading. There has been so much on my mind lately. I’m excited to share what has been going on!
A Season of Change
About a year ago, I was completely sold on trying to make my blog a full time gig. I truly felt as if blogging was my passion. For the past year, I worked extremely hard at revamping my content, rebranding myself as a style blogger, and building my platform. But it started to exhaust me. I realized that I wasn’t blogging because it bought me joy….I was blogging to reach my goals.
As of lately, I’ve felt a season of change. I have lost the “spark”. I was starting to forget why I even liked blogging in the first place. I went on Instagram and all I did was feel like crap looking at other bloggers’ platforms. I wasn’t giving myself credit that I was currently balancing a full-time blogging gig AND grad school. I grew tired of trying to keep up with the ever-changing, SO annoying Instagram algorithms that constantly restrict bloggers’ posts from being seen. I worked hours upon hours building my platform, but didn’t feel as if I was enjoying the process. I found myself obsessing over every little detail- all of my blog photos, my social media platforms, and what other bloggers were doing. I started over-analyzing every part of my body- even parts of my body that I normally love, such as my arms and my legs, and started nit-picking them apart. My self-confidence plummeted. Blogging was no longer joyful for me anymore….it was a hassle. It was self-destructive. I became obsessed with perfectionism, and these unrealistic expectations I set for myself were killing my joy.
This past month, I took a step back to focus on school. Normally I create blog content weeks, sometimes even months in advance, and am constantly communicating with brands about sponsorships. I stopped replying to the emails. I got off Instagram. I left a few blogging support groups. Did my blog monetization suffer? Yes. Did my Instagram following suffer? Yes. But for the first time in my life, I didn’t really care. Normally, it would give me anxiety that I wasn’t achieving the goals I had set for myself, but I felt freed from the blogging-related anxiety itself.
While reevaluating my priorities, I realized that I been focusing too much on what others expected out of me and lost touch with why I started blogging in the first place. I started blogging 2.5 years ago because I love writing, community, and sharing content. I needed to re-visit why I started this blog in the first place. Not to gain Instagram followers. Not to make money. But to just have fun. To share. To connect.
My Counseling Career
A huge part of the reason why I am stepping back from blogging is because my career is starting very soon, and I felt as if blogging was taking away from my counseling intentions. I only have one semester left to complete before I graduate with my Master’s in Professional Counseling. I cannot even begin to describe to you how ecstatic I am to start my career! The past 4 months, I took on a full load of credits (including a statistical research course which was death of me), and two separate internships at an elementary and middle school. It was the busiest, most stressful, yet most rewarding time of my life. And throughout all of it- the school work, the guidance lesson planning, the job searching – I was also trying to keep this blog afloat as a small business. The harsh realization sunk in that I just can’t do it all. I felt as if turning my blog into a business wasn’t aligning with my current goals. It was just getting in the way; yet I wasn’t sure how to step back. I felt as if I had failed myself.
I need to focus on my future as a school counselor. I first started this blog before I started graduate school, when I wasn’t exactly sure what my goals were at the time. My internships have proven to me how incredibly rewarding school counseling is for me, and I owe it to my students to be 100% focused on the task at hand.
The Future of My Blog
So what does this mean? Does this mean I’m quitting Inspiration Indulgence? Heck no. But I am re-evaluating my priorities and the direction of where my blog is headed. Am I still going to be posting often? I’ll try posting once a week, but if I don’t get a post up, I won’t stress about it. If I don’t post for even a month, I won’t feel guilty. I started this blog for ME in the first place. I will still publish sponsored content, but only if I feel the timing is right, and if I’m not overwhelmed. I no longer want to stress about it and rely totally on my blog as a source of income. I no longer want to feel a prisoner to my blog or my email. I want to find the joy in the process of blogging again.
In addition, I plan on changing my content up a little. When I took my blogging break to focus on school, I realized that there were so many things I wanted to blog for MYSELF, but I never did because: 1.) I felt my readers didn’t care; and 2.) I felt it wasn’t “professional” or “inspirational” enough. Like I wasn’t living up to the “Inspiration Indulgence” expectations. I would like to blog more day-to-day personal things, such as weekly or monthly wedding planning updates, school updates, more casual OOTDs (but not needing professional photos each time) and just LIFE updates. For example, sharing my monthly goals, my weekly highs and lows, etc. I noticed that I love “life updates” from other bloggers but always felt insecure about doing them myself. So, I’m hoping to incorporate more “real” stuff with this blog. I plan on posting “Life Lately” posts, as well as a “Wedding Wednesday” series once a month with planning updates. I am now grasping that I don’t need a world-altering idea for every blog post; my blog posts can just be simple life updates, and my readers will likely appreciate those!
I know that not all of you are crazy about fashion, but I will absolutely stay true to style blogging. I absolutely LOVE sharing my style; in fact my weekly series, My Current Obsession, has brought me SO much joy! I need to be true to who I am!
So with that, I’d like to introduce you to my first “Life Lately” post. I’d like to point out that I’m especially inspired by my blogging friend Summer from Coffee With Summer and how she is able to cultivate such an honest, open community with her followers. Her “CWS Happenings” posts have inspired me to cultivate my own community through just ….life happenings!
If we were to grab a cup of coffee together, I’d share with you…
- How refreshed I feel now that school is over this semester. I have a 3 week break until I start summer class! I plan on spending the time reading for pleasure (wait, what is that?!) hanging out with Shadow, and spending more time with the family/friends that I neglected throughout the school year!
- Speaking of Shadow, he is growing SO fast. When we first brought him home, he was 9 lbs…now he is 45 lbs! He is so stinkin cute, I literally can’t even handle it. I’d like to do a shoot soon with him!
- How incredibly sad I was to leave my internship sites this semester. My kiddos have changed my life and have further instilled why I am so passionate about school counseling. I loved every second of it! It’s so hard to build meaningful connections and then say goodbye! I can’t wait for stability and to end the #InternLife. I only have one more internship, and then it’s graduation time!
- I’m teaching summer school at one of my past internship sites. The district has given me complete freedom to create classes to teach, which is very liberating! I will be teaching Character Counts, Team-Building Exercises, and Creative Writing. I’m incredibly nervous, yet excited! My degree isn’t in “teaching” so it will be interesting to see how this goes! School counselors teach guidance classes, but that is only a small part of our job, so I still feel as if I’m not an expert at classroom management.
- Trevor bought a boat, and I’m so excited! As a child, I spent many summers on my family’s boat. Those are some of my best memories, and I can’t wait to create the same ones with our family!
- Our wedding is about 4.5 months away and it’s starting to totally get very, VERY real!
- I’ve been focusing on my health lately to get in shape for the wedding. I started a 6-week health challenge and did great the first 3 weeks….and then sort of gave up. I plan on starting over this upcoming Monday, now that I’m done with school and will be able to focus more on my health!
- My summer class is called Addictions in Counseling, and we have to give up an “addiction” for 8 weeks. I have been really intentional about thinking of what to give up. I think that I am going to give up fried potatoes because I eat them all of the time, and in a way, it really does feel like an addiction! Plus it aligns with my current health goals.
Get caught up with my recent posts!
My Current Obsession: Florals
Q&A About Me: Fill in the Blanks
Mother’s Day Gift Ideas Under $50 with Bay Park Square Mall
How I Deal with Body Insecurities
My Current Obsession: The Midi Skirt
Jean Jacket // Charlotte Russe // Dress // Charlotte Russe // Sandals // Charlotte Russe // Purse // Almost Famous Clothing (out of stock) //
What about you guys! What’s going on in your life? Do you have any suggestions for my blog on what you would like to read more of? Please leave me a comment below!
Photos by Shaunae Teske